Group shot
There are two of these white chaps. Apparently a floppy comb (red bit on top of the head) is a sign of stress. Sadly they still appear to be a bit stressed today.
Ben with our first two eggs: We Are Now Chicken Keepers
This one with a hairdo is called a Silkie- there is another one in white with a blue (yes blue) face
One of the two Frizzles
Well, thank you to everybody who contributed to the Meet the Meat Crowdfunding effort. It was very exciting to make it past our target. I love the fact that everybody is involved now- even if you are only in it for the bacon/cake.
Obviously the headline act is the pigs but I have decided to hold off on them until the Christmas holidays for following three reasons
1) I am getting so much pleasure from looking at websites selling modular electric fencing
and I will no longer have any reason to do this once I have purchased the fencing- and purchasing fencing is definitely preliminary to owning pigs.
2) Whilst we did acquire a dog in July 2013 so we had started work on the accreditation process for being Countryside People, owning pigs is an Intermediate Level Countryside People activity. (Owning horses and riding about on them is Advanced Level and killing things on a horse you own and ride about on is Advanced Plus) The Basic Level activity, before Pig Keeping must surely be chicken keeping.
3)If I got pigs now then I would need to send them for slaughter in April/May. So they would have lived through the cold and dark of winter, and as soon as it started to be spring I would have to send them off. That seems a little mean.(Am I revealing that I am fundamentally unsuited to keeping animals for meat?) I want to be able to think the pigs lay in the sun, enjoying life, not shivering in frozen mud. (Not sure if pigs shiver)
So this half term, I put my mind to acquiring chickens.
Now, whilst I had made it to the crowd funding target, I had, in fact only managed it by making a pretty sizeable contribution. I had a lovely time looking at websites selling bijou chicken housing, and poultry fencing and other equipment, but I could see that I was going to have to come up with some kind of plan, if there was going to be any money left over for pigs.
And that is where Preloved came in. I went there initially in hopes of finding a second hand coop somewhere local but the reality was so much better: it turned out that there were a quite a few adverts, not just for coops, but for entire flocks with all the stuff thrown in. One of them offered the whole set up for £200 under a sad picture of some cross looking chickens staring through wire- described as "bought by mistake".
I replied to an advert offering 11 chickens and a house and asked the lady if she would sell us everything. She was a bit surprised, she had been expecting to parcel them out in bits, but eventually after a bit of consultation on both sides we struck a deal on the whole thing, chickens, coop, bags of food, drinkers, food hoppers: all of it...and she sent her husband Karl and his pal Dan round to set it up with me on Saturday afternoon.
It was a real pleasure to spend the afternoon with Karl learning all about the birds he was handing over and profiting from his superior fencing expertise. ("I just nail stuff together and if it stays then that's job done") He introduced me to the world of cable ties: a revelation.
He and his wife had acquired the chickens whilst living in a tied cottage on a farm. They had recently moved to housing association property where the chickens took up more than half the tiny garden, and they were worried that they were miserable. Karl said that he felt confident that they were going to be happy in our garden, which was much more what they were used to.
There are 11 chickens.
Two Frizzles- which look frizzled- with all their feathers all fluffed up. They must be much less effectively insulated than the others. They are also much younger than the rest of the flock and apparently they had to be sprayed with special bad tasting anti-peck stuff to stop the others from bullying them, when they first arrived. They hang out together.
Two silkies- a brown one and a white one. They have weird quiffs and they look particularly dinosaury. The white one has a pale blue face.
There is a Black one with gold feathers around her neck. Apparently she is the boss.
There are two white ones and they are the only ones whose combs (weird red bits on their heads) are floppy- which is apparently a sign of stress. I am not sure why they are finding life particularly stressful. I have put some anti-stress drops in their water, but they are still flopping.
The other 4 are all brown- apparently legbars. They only have tiny combs, so they may be stressed too, like the white ones, but because I can't tell I'm not going to worry about it.
We have had at least two eggs everyday- today there were four. Karl said that they wouldn't start laying for a while because they would be getting used to their new home, so it's very exciting that they are laying.
Apparently you can expect an egg a day from young birds, like these..which is potentially 77 eggs a week. Which is a truly appalling prospect.
For now, though, I am thoroughly enjoying being a chicken keeper. I have even discovered a number (like 4 or 5) of chicken keeping podcasts..updated weekly...
I will update you next week, when hopefully the chicken sponsors will have given them some names.
Please do ask questions and make comments: keen to share! So keen!





No comments:
Post a Comment